Tokyo University of Foreign Studies has a long history. Its origins are traced to Bansho Shirabesho (Institute for Research of Foreign Documents), established by the Edo shogunate in 1857. It is no exaggeration to say that the history of studies of foreign countries in Japan began with that government-run school, the ancestor of TUFS. It is not easy, however, to clearly affirm when TUFS was founded as a modern educational institution. The reason is that TUFS shares the same roots as several other educational institutions founded in the Meiji era, the dawn of modern education in Japan. They include schools that after many twists and turns branched into today’s University of Tokyo and Hitotsubashi University. The ancestor of TUFS as a modern school organization is Tokyo Gaikokugo Gakko (Tokyo School of Foreign Languages), founded in 1873 through Kaisei Gakko (current University of Tokyo), a school with two departments (English and French) established in 1869. At that time, Tokyo Gaikokugo Gakko had five language departments: English, German, French, Russian, and Chinese. In 1885, this school merged with others to form Tokyo Shogyo Gakko (Tokyo School of Commerce), later renamed Koto Shogyo Gakko (High School of Commerce). That school later became today’s Hitotsubashi University. With that merger, all independent institutions for foreign-language education briefly disappeared in Japan.
The following is the list of scholars from Tokyo University of Foreign Studies who contributed and/or serves as editors for one or more OMICS International journals and conferences