Preparation of Pharmaceutical Nanobeads and Nanofibers via Electrospinning Method
Received: 26-Apr-2014 / Accepted Date: 28-Apr-2014 / Published Date: 29-Apr-2014 DOI: 10.4172/2329-9053.1000e112
Novel drug delivery systems have attracted the interest of many researchers because of some advantages such as targeting the drug to the special tissues, less toxicity, patient compliance and convenience as well as improvement of the drug physicochemical properties and pharmacokinetics [1,2]. In the recent years, nanoformulations have become a major concept of modern drug delivery due to their increased surface area, [3,4] and improved dissolution rate of the less water-soluble drugs . There are different technologies applied for preparation of the nanoparticles such as emulsification solvent evaporation, self-assembly, nanoprecipitation, drawing template synthesis , aerosol flow reactor  and electrospinning methods .
At the end of twentieth century electrostatic spinning namely electrospinning attracted interest of the researchers owing to its capability to produce ultrafine fibers . This method could be benefitted in large scales due to its simplicity and cost effectiveness . Electrospinning has three important components including high voltage supplier, syringe and collector . A high voltage electrical field is used in this technique to form solid beads or fibers from liquid drug-polymer solution . Different parameters such as distance between needle and collector, voltage, drug-polymer ratio and solution concentration could influence the characteristics of the obtained nanostructures . Electrospinning has also been applied in nanocatalysis , tissue engineering scaffolds , protective clothing , filtration , biomedicine, optical electronics , biotechnology and environmental engineering . This process has recently been used in the pharmaceutical science to improve the physicochemical characteristics of naproxen , ibuprofen [21-24], doxycycline , mebeverine , sumatriptan , indomethacin , and β-estradiol .
The electric charge on the surface of the liquid resulted by the high voltage/electric-field induces electrostatic repulsion forces which in turn create a liquid jet. The nanobeads are normally obtained when the low solution concentrations is injected to the collector; however, enhancing the solution viscosity-when sufficient enough- by increasing its concentration will typically cause the formation of the beads-onstring or uniform nanofibers  . It could be concluded that, the adjustable formulation parameters together with the simplicity of electrospinning technique make it a promising technique for being industrialized.
The authors would like to thank Biotechnology Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran.
The work was not financially supported by any institute.
- Adibkia K, Siahi Shadbad MR, Nokhodchi A, Javadzedeh A, Barzegar-Jalali M, et al. (2007) Piroxicam nanoparticles for ocular delivery: Physicochemical characterization and implementation in endotoxin-induced uveitis. J Drug Target 15: 407-416.
- Adibkia K, Omidi Y, Siahi Shadbad MR, Nokhodchi A, Javadzedeh A, et al. (2007) Inhibition of endotoxin-induced uveitis by methylprednisolone acetate nanosuspension in rabbits. J Ocular Pharm Therap 23: 421-432.
- Adibkia K, Javadzadeh Y, Dastmalchi S, Mohammadi G, Kari Niri F, et al. (2011) Naproxen-eudragit® RS100 nanoparticles: preparation and physicochemical characterization. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 83: 155-159.
- Snopczynski T, Goralczyk K, Czaja K, Strucinski P, Hernik A (2009) Nanotechnology--possibilities and hazards. Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig 60: 101-111.
- Kocbek P, Baumgartner S, Kristl J (2006) Preparation and evaluation of nanosuspensions for enhancing the dissolution of poorly soluble drugs. Int J Pharm, 312: 179-186.
- Krishna Sailaja A, Amareshwar P, Chakravarty P (2011) Different techniques used for the preparation of nanoparticles using natural polymers and their application. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci, 3: 45-50.
- Eerika inen H, Watanabe W, Kauppinen E, Petri Ahonen P (2003) Aerosol flow reactor method for synthesis of drug nanoparticles. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 55: 357–360.
- Sode K, Tanaka M, Suzuki Y, Kawakami H (2013) Nickel nanoparticle chains inside carbonized polymer nanofibers: preparation by electrospinning and ion-beam irradiation. Nanoscale 5: 8235-8241.
- Martins A, Reis RL, Neves NM (2008) Electrospinning: processing technique for tissue engineering scaffolding, Int Mat Rev 53: 257-274.
- Bhardwaj N, Kundu S (2010) Electrospinning: A fascinating fiber fabrication technique, Biotech. Adv 28: 325–347.
- Mohammadi G, Hemati V, Nikbakht MR, Mirzaee Sh, Fattahi A, et al. (2014) In vitro and In vivo evaluation of Clarithromycin-Urea solid dispersions prepared by solvent evaporation, electrospraying and freeze drying methods. Powder Tech 257: 168-174.
- Doustgani A, Vasheghani-Farahani E, Soleimani M, Hashemi-Najafabadi S (2011) Preparation and Characterization of Aligned and Random Nanofibrous Nanocomposite Scaffolds of Poly (Vinyl Alcohol), Poly (e-Caprolactone) and Nanohydroxyapatite. Int J Nanosci Nanotech 7: 127-132.
- Chowdhury M, Stylios G (2010) Effect of Experimental Parameters on the Morphology of Electrospun Nylon 6 fibres. Int J Basic App Sci 10: 70-78.
- Chinnappan A, Kim H (2012) Nanocatalyst: Electrospun nanofibers of PVDF – Dicationic tetrachloronickelate (II) anion and their effect on hydrogen generation from the hydrolysis of sodium borohydride. Int J Hydrogen Energy 37: 18851-18859.
- Luu YK, Kim K, Hsiao BS, Chu B, Hadjiargyrou M (2003) Development of a nanostructured DNA delivery scaffold via electrospinning of PLGA and PLA-PEG block copolymers. J. Control Release 89: 341-353 .
- Subbiah T, Bhat GS, Tock RW, Parameswaran S, Ramkumar SS (2005) Electrospinning of nanofibers. J App Polymer Sci 96: 557–569 .
- Rajesh KP, Natarajan TS (2009) Electrospun polymer nanofibrous membrane for filtration. J Nanosci Nanotech 9: 5402-5405.
- Wang X, Drew C, Lee SH, Senecal KJ, Kumar J, et al. (2002) Electrospun Nanofibrous Membranes for Highly Sensitive Optical Sensors. Nano letters 2: 1273-1275.
- Thavasi V, Singh G, Ramakrishna S (2008) Electrospun nanofibers in energy and environmental applications. Energy Environ Sci 1: 205-221.
- Canbolat MF, Celebioglu A, Uyar T (2013) Drug delivery system based on cyclodextrin-naproxen inclusion complex incorporated in electrospun polycaprolactone nanofibers. Colloids and surfaces B Biointerfaces 115: 15-21.
- Pires LR, Guarino V, Oliveira MJ, Ribeiro CC, Barbosa MA (2013) Ibuprofen-loaded poly(trimethylene carbonate-co-epsilon-caprolactone) electrospun fibres for nerve regeneration. J Tissue Eng Regen Med, In Press.
- Shi Y, Wei Z, Zhao H, Liu T, Dong A, Zhang J (2013) Electrospinning of ibuprofen-loaded composite nanofibers for improving the performances of transdermal patches. J Nanosci Nanotech 13: 3855-3863.
- Chaturvedi TP, Srivastava R, Srivastava AK, Gupta V, Verma PK (2013) Doxycycline poly e-caprolactone nanofibers in patients with chronic periodontitis - a clinical evaluation, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research. JCDR 7: 2339-2342.
- Illangakoon UE, Nazir T, Williams GR, Chatterton NP (2014) Mebeverine-loaded electrospun nanofibers: physicochemical characterization and dissolution studies. J Pharm Sci 103: 283-292.
- Vrbata P, Berka P, Stranska D, Dolezal P, Musilova M, Cizinska L (2013) Electrospun drug loaded membranes for sublingual administration of sumatriptan and naproxen. Int J Pharm 457: 168-176.
- Oh B, Lee CH (2013) Advanced cardiovascular stent coated with nanofiber. Mol Pharm 10: 4432-4442.
- Yu JH, Fridrikh SV, Rutledge GC (2006) The role of elasticity in the formation of electrospun fibers. Polymer 47: 4789-4797.
Citation: Adibkia K (2014) Preparation of Pharmaceutical Nanobeads and Nanofibers via Electrospinning Method. J Mol Pharm Org Process Res 2: e112. Doi: 10.4172/2329-9053.1000e112
Copyright: ©2014 Adibkia K. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited