My View on My Research
Medical faculty, Dental Clinic Department of Oral medicine and Periodontology, Niš, Serbia.
- Corresponding Author:
- Kesic Ljiljana
Dental Clinic Department
of Oral medicine and Periodontology
Tel: +38164 267 00 99
E-mail: [email protected]
Received Date: November 22, 2013; Accepted Date: November 26, 2013; Published Date: November 28, 2013
Citation: Ljiljana K (2013) My View on My Research. J Interdiscipl Med Dent Sci 1:102.
Copyright: © 2013 Ljiljana K. This is an open-access article distributed under the
terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted
use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and
source are credited.
Visit for more related articles at JBR Journal of Interdisciplinary Medicine and Dental Science
I enrolled Faculty of Medicine – Department of Dentistry out of
love. In fact, as a little girl I adored my dentist, so my teddy bear was
often sat on a chair as patient. I mixed flour and water in the saucers,
and put it in teddy bear's mouth as a base. I imitated dentist movements
for reparation or washing teeth. Later, when I grew up, my parents
influenced me (my mother was professor microbiologist, my father was
professor of pathology) and I loved both the scientific and educational
I got a job in 1990 as an assistant trainee at the Department of Oral
Medicine and Periodontology, and made it to full professor in 2012. All
this time I worked on the problems of patients with diabetes mellitus
– my postgraduate work and later my doctoral thesis [1,2]. The focus
of research is oral manifestations in diabetics, specific microbial flora
in periodontal pockets with significant findings of Porphyromonas
gingivalis, Bacteroides forsythus, Vellonella parvula, Aggregatibacter
actinomycetemcomitans, etc. I am thankful to my mentor Prof
dr Milenko Bačić (Dental Faculty in Zagreb), Prof dr Bernhard
Guggenheim and Prof dr Nick Gmur (Dental faculty Zurich) for their
My doctoral thesis was concerned with patohistological,
microbiological and cytological investigations in periodontal pockets of
diabetic patients. One of the most important finding was identification
of fibroclast in gingival diabetic tissue.
With master and PhD students I continued research related to
diabetes mellitus [3-9], the connection between periodontal disease
and cardiologic disease , as well as microorganisms in gingival and
periodontal diseases [11-17], usage of low level lasers and hyaluronic
acid [18-24]. These were mainly interdisciplinary research dealing with
potential therapeutic modalities in different patient groups.
A large part of work is related to clinical cases in oral medicine. I
would like to single out Oral Lichen Planus [25,26], oral hygiene and
future investigations connected with oral hygiene in drug addicts,
prisoners, pregnant women, Romani children, etc. The cooperation
with undergraduate students led me to organize the education of
educators which was done through lectures in the relevant field of
oral medicine or periodontology and intended for a specific group of
I am particularly proud of the Serbian Oral Lasers Application
Society (SOLAS). Namely I was initiator and proponent of the use of
lasers in dentistry. I was member of Scientific Comitee of Laser therapy
Congress 21-23.9.2006 on Rhodos, 2007 in Bridge, 2010 in Wienna and
2011 in Istanbul.
The result were some large studies-MSc and PhD theses related to
the use of lasers (where I was a mentor) [27-30], as well as usage of
lasers in treatment of hypersensitive dentine [31,32], mouth burning
syndrome , after root resection34, diabetic periodontal disease
[6,8,9], common therapy with lasers and bone substitutes [35-37].
Some interesting clinical cases were presented in articles [38-43].
Work with young people is creative and very exciting. I like to
participate in student congresses. The article entitled ‘Comparative
analysis of different therapeutic procedures in the treatment of gingivitis’ by author Vukašin Voštinić, and me as mentor, was ranked
third at the International Student Congress in Moscow 2010.
I participated in practice and theoretic lessons, as well as
examinations for Italian students in International Study Center in
Lugano, Switzerland, which was a wonderful experience.
Future interdisciplinary investigations concern the periodontal
disease and its therapy – using lasers, phytotherapy at different patient
groups. Particular attention is given to preventive program, oral
hygiene and patient motivation with the aim of promoting the oral
- Penev Lj (Kesic Lj) (1986) Investigation of specific microbial flora in parodontal pockets of diabetic patients I-II. Dental faculty Zagreb, Croatia, MSc theses.
- Kesic Lj (1997) Parallel analysis of changes in parodontal pockets of diabetics I-II. Medical faculty Niš, PhD theses.
- Kesic L, Petrovic D, Obradovic R, Gašic J, Kosta T (2009) Diabetes melitus i parodontopatija. Medicinski pregled62: 534-538.
- Kesic LjG, Radovic S, Dedic A, Avdic M, Obradovic R R (2011) The influence of HbA1c level on gingival inflammation and periodontal therapy among diabetic patients. Health med 5: 200-204.
- Obradovic R, Kesic Lj, Pejcic A, Petrovic M, Živkovic N, Živkovic D (2011) Diabetes mellitus and oral candidosis. Acta Stomatologica Naissi27: 1025-1034.
- ObradoviÄ‡ R, KesiÄ‡ L, JovanoviÄ‡ G, PetroviÄ‡ D, Goran R, et al. (2011) [Low power laser efficacy in the therapy of inflamed gingive in diabetics with parodontopathy]. Vojnosanit Pregl 68: 684-689.
- Obradovic R, Kesic LJ, Gasic J, Petrovic M, Zivkovic N (2012) Role of smoking in periodontal disease among diabetic patients. West Indian Med J 61: 98-101.
- Obradovic R, Kesic L, Mihailovic D, Antic S, Jovanovic G, et al. (2013) A histological evaluation of a low-level laser therapy as an adjunct to periodontal therapy in patients with diabetes mellitus. Lasers Med Sci 28: 19-24.
- Obradovic R, Kesic L, Mihailovic D, Jovanovic G, Antic S, et al. (2012) Low-level lasers as an adjunct in periodontal therapy in patients with diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Technol Ther 14: 799-803.
- Pejcic A, Kesic LJ, Milasin J (2011) C-reactive protein as a systemic marker of inflammation in periodontitis. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 30: 407-414.
- Kesic Lj, Milašin J, Igic M, Obradovic R (2008) Microbial etiology of periodontal disease: Mini review. Facta Universitatis 15: 1-6
- Igic M, Kesic Lj, Milašin J, Apostolovic M, Kostadinovic Lj, et al. (2009) The Presence of Porphyromonas gingivalis and Aggregatibacter Actinomycetemcomitans Among Children with Gingivitis Before and After Low Level Laser Therapy. J Oral Laser Appl 9: 141.
- Igic M, Kesic Lj, Milašin J, Apostolovic M, Kostadinovic Lj (2009) The Presence of Porphyromonas gingivalis and Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans Among the Children with Gingivitis. Int J Pediatric dentistry 1:19.
- Igic M, Kesic Lj, Milasin J, Apostolovic M, Kostadinovic Lj, et al. (2010) The presence of periodontal patogens among the children with gingivitis before and after therapy. Hjuston u Nišu. Abstract book.1st Intercontinetal Symposium on Contemporary Dentistry Niš, Srbija.
- Pejcic A, Kesic L, Milasin J (2011) Association between Periodontopathogens and CRP Levels in Patients with Periodontitis in Serbia. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects 5: 10-16.
- Pejcic A, Kesic LJ, Milašin J, Pešic Z, Mirkovic D (2011) The effects of periodontal therapy on C-reactive protein and periodontal pathogens in periodontitis patients. Acta Stomatologica Croatica 45: 14-23
- Igic M, Kesic L, Lekovic V, Apostolovic M, Mihailovic D, et al. (2012) Chronic gingivitis: the prevalence of periodontopathogens and therapy efficiency. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31: 1911-1915.
- Kesic Lj, Jovanovic G (2003) The effect of soft laser application in the therapy of periodontal abscess. Int Congr Ser 1248: 437-439.
- Igic M, Kesic L, Apostolovic M, Kostadinovic L (2008) Low-level laser efficiency in the therapy of chronic gingivitis in children. Vojnosanit Pregl 65: 755-757.
- Kesic Lj, Obradovic R (2009) The Influence of Low Level Laser Therapy on Gingival Inflammation. J Oral Laser Appl 9: 140.
- Pejcic A, Kojovic D, Kesic L, Obradovic R (2010) The effects of low level laser irradiation on gingival inflammation. Photomed Laser Surg 28: 69-74.
- Igic M, Mihailovic D, Kesic Lj, Apostolovic M, Kostadinovic Lj, et al. (2010) Cytomorphometric and clinical assessment before and after the treatment of chronic catarrhal gingivitis in children. Acta Stomatol Naissi 26: 945-952
- Igic M, Mihailovic D, Kesic L, Milasin J, Apostolovic M, et al. (2012) Cytomorphometric and clinical investigation of the gingiva before and after low-level laser therapy of gingivitis in children. Lasers Med Sci 27: 843-848.
- Denic MS,Sunaric SM,Kesic LG,Minic IZ,Obradovic RR, et al. (2013) RP-HPLC assay of doxycycline in human saliva and gingival crevicular fluid in patients with chronic periodontal disease. J Pharm Biomed Anal 78-79: 170-5.
- Kesic L, Obradovic R, Mihailovic D, Radicevic G, Stankovic S, et al. (2009) Incidence and treatment outcome of oral lichen planus in southeast Serbia in a 10-year period (1997-2007). Vojnosanit Pregl 66: 435-439.
- Obradovic R, Kesic L, Mihailovic D, Radicevic G (2009) Malignant transformation of oral lichen planus. A case report. West Indian Med J 58: 490-492.
- Živkovic R (Obradovic). Efficiency of biomaterials and low level laser therapy in reparation of bone deffects on experimental models – comparative investigation, MSc theses.
- Obradovic R. Significance of low level laser therapy in management of diabetic periodontal disease, PhD theses.
- Igic M. Management of chronic gingivitis catarhalis by hyaluronic acid, basic and laser therapy at children - evaluation of results, PhD theses.
- Bojovic M. Investigation of low level laser therapy efficiency in treatment of aphtous ulceration and Herpes labialis, MSc theses.
- Obradovic R, Kesic Lj, Pejcic A (2007) Low level laser therapy of dentine hypersensitivity: A review. Facta Universitatis 14: 15-18.
- Pesevska S, Nakova M, Ivanovski K, Angelov N, Kesic L, et al. (2010) Dentinal hypersensitivity following scaling and root planing: comparison of low-level laser and topical fluoride treatment. Lasers Med Sci 25: 647-650.
- Kesic Lj, Jovanovic G, Buric N (2003) Low-power Lasers in the Treatment of Glossopyrosis. J Oral Laser Appl 3:105-107
- Jovanovic G, Buric N, Kesic Lj (2003) Effects of Soft Laser in Pain Therapy after Root Resection. J Oral Laser Applications 3: 83-86.
- Živkovic R, Kesic Lj, Mihailovic D, Ignjatovic N, Uskokovic D (2006) Investigation of HeNe laser therapy influence on BCP/PLGA osseointegration–experimental study. Facta Universitatis 13: 109-113
- Obradovic R, Kesic Lj, Mihailovic D, Ignjatovic N, Uskokovic D (2007) Comparative efficacy analysis of biomaterials and soft lasers in repair of bone defects. J Oral Laser Appl 7: 161-166.
- Obradovic RR, Kesic LG, Pesevska S (2009) Influence of low-level laser therapy on biomaterial osseointegration: a mini-review. Lasers Med Sci 24: 447-451.
- Buric N, Jovanovic G, Krasic D, Kesic L (2003) Investigation of the bone tissue response to glass-ionomer microimplants in the canine maxillary alveolar ridge. J Oral Sci 45: 207-212.
- Kesic L, Mihailovic D, Pesic Z, Obradovic R (2008) False gingival enlargement as a diagnostic problem: a case report. Int J Dent Hyg 6: 68-71.
- Pejcic A, Kesic Lj, Obradovic R, Petrovic M S, Mirkovic D (2009) Oral condition in patients with HIV infection-Oral cavity and HIV. Acta stomatol Naissi 25: 915-924.
- Pejcic A, Kesic Lj, Obradovic R, Mirkovic D (2010) Antibiotics in the management of periodontal disease. Acta facultatis medicae Naissensis 27: 85-92
- Pejcic A, Kesic LjG, Pešic Z, Mirkovic D, Stojanovic MR (2011) White Blood Cell Count in Different Stages of Chronic Periodontitis. Acta Clin Croat 50: 159-167.
- Gasic J, Kesic L, Popovic J, Mitic A, Nikolic M, et al. (2012) Ultrastructural changes in the cemento-enamel junction after vital tooth bleaching with fluoride and fluoride-free agents - a pilot study. Med Sci Monit 18: PR5-12.